Thank You to my Patrons!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Workshop: The Inciting Event and Your World

Hey, everyone. I'm happy to be back home and also completely exhausted from such an exciting weekend. I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep my end of the workshop up so well since the end of last week; anyway, here we go.

I had been thinking a bit about inciting events. An inciting event is generally the event that propels you into the main conflict of your story. My friend Janice Hardy mentions it in a great blog post, here (she's got tons of great information on the process of writing and on getting published, so check it out). In her words, "The inciting event is the trigger that sets the rest of the story in motion." She treats it separately from the opening scene, but I'm not sure the two are necessarily separate. It helps to hook your reader with the inciting event as early as possible. I have spent a lot of time in my writing career working on the question of where to start a story, and believe me, it's tricky - but it's worth thinking seriously about.

So what does this have to do with worldbuilding? Well, when you're thinking about how to open your story, you have to take into account both your need to hook the reader, and your need to introduce your world.

We all know the dreaded word, infodumping. We all know we want to avoid it. But how do we go about creating a scene where this information doesn't need to be explained? How do we make it so the information is simply evident in the action?

First, use your POV character. Make sure you know the character's background, culture and motivations to the fullest extent possible, so that you can use the character to help you convey information. This is what I call making your world personal. It's what I've talked about in comments with Jeanne, and what I hope to take further with each of you as this workshop moves forward.

Okay, so far so good. But as you would certainly be quick to point out to me, characters have blind spots and weaknesses; they have things they just don't care about. Use those things, too, as much as you can. After all, you can use a dismissive or contemptuous tone in your character's narration as well as you can other things.

Here's the harder one: what about things that the character considers normal? Things that are totally normal, entirely obvious to the character, are not things you want him or her to talk about. Talking about obvious things leads to completely cringe-worthy "As you know, Bob" dialog, and we don't want that.

So how can we possibly describe the basic parameters of our worlds, knowing that to our character, so much is entirely unremarkable?

The answer is, use conflict and contrast. I have an example of this done simply and elegantly in the real world, here.

And here's the beautiful convergence I've been leading up to: the inciting event, the beginning of the core conflict of the novel, very often is all about the precise type of conflict that can let you give out world information.

Just so I don't sound totally ungrounded, let me give you an example from my drafting of my forthcoming story, Cold Words. Consider the list of events below and ask yourself which one is the best to use for an opening scene:

1. A Human ambassador inadvertently insults the Majesty of the Aurrel, placing a spaceport negotiation in danger.
2. The native liaison asks the Humans to send away the failed ambassador and get a new one.
3. The Human ambassador comes to the native liaison to tell him that he's worried about the motives of the replacement ambassador.
4. The native liaison goes to the Majesty to report the impending arrival of the replacement ambassador and try to rescue the spaceport negotiation.

I wouldn't choose 1 or 2. Any event that occurs before a significant lull, like waiting for a replacement ambassador to arrive, is less optimal because it will require a time break and reduce forward momentum. Furthermore, even though the incident of insult is interesting, it would be hard for readers to understand without significant previous context - which, if this is the first scene, they can't possibly have.

When I wrote my first draft, I chose 4. The story is told in the native liaison's point of view, and thus the main motivating force in the story is his desire to complete the spaceport negotiation successfully (for his own secret reasons). Why not start where you see him pressing his suit with the Majesty, a place where he can show his intense desire for success and share it with the reader?

The answer to that question is this: if he's alone with Majesty, he's in a completely native context where everything is normal. And that means that every piece of normal world information will be really difficult to put in.

So in the end, I chose 3. There's conflict there, because the human ambassador brings a warning that may put the negotiation at even deeper risk. More importantly for this discussion, though, scene #3 puts our native liaison in direct contact with a human. There's conflict, and there's contrast. There are opportunities for the human ambassador to demonstrate his own cultural biases, and for the native liaison to remark on them, thus putting his own world forward for readers to explore. Better yet, the sense of contrast continues forward as he goes to see Majesty, because with the human interaction foremost in his mind, the native liaison is more likely to remark on the quirky cultural things inherent in their interaction.

So, please take a look at what you've written for me in this context. Take a look at the kinds of conflict or contrast opportunities that appear in the scene as you've written it, and then ask yourself how you could tune the circumstances of that scene to make your job that much easier. I hope you can each give me some comments on this topic.

Finally, in the spirit of making your world personal, I'd like to get you started on the eleven questions I used in my last worldbuilding workshop. I'll cut straight to the chase, here: I don't want to see you answer the impersonal questions at all, so I'm putting here below only the questions that relate directly to your protagonist's view of the world. I'd like to see your responses by this coming Friday, May 1.

Here are the questions. Please answer them in the voice of your POV character.

1. What is my home like? How do I visualize its boundaries?
2. What weather and physical conditions do I consider normal? What do I fear?
3. What kind of topography did I grow up in, and how did it influence my physical condition and my concepts of comfort?
4. In what kind of place do I feel most at home? What shapes and textures give me comfort, or discomfort?
5. Who is in charge here? Do I respect them, fear them, both?
6. How do I show who I am in the way I dress? What is comfortable? Will I endure discomfort for the sake of looking good or looking powerful?
7. Where do the things I own come from? Do I worry about getting more?
8. What is delicious to me? What do I consider unworthy of consumption?
9. What are my most prized possessions? Do I hoard anything? Do I have so much of anything that I care little if I must give it away?
10. Who do I consider to be unlike me? Are their differences charming or alarming?
11. Am I in control of my own actions and the happenings around me? What or whom do I believe in?

As always, I welcome any questions or comments.

20 comments:

  1. Quick question about the list of questions we're answering: In what context should I be answering them? I feel like if I were to answer them lierally, from my protagonists point of view he will be talking about nothing but his home time period. Much/all of the story takes place in the future. So while this will give back story and motivation for my protagonist, it won't give anything about the world in which the story takes place.

    To remedy this, could I perhaps have Lanuz answer the questions from the future time period? He would answer questions like, "What is my home like?" literally and talk about his actual home in the past, but when he gets to questions like, "Who is in charge here? Do I respect them, fear them, both?" maybe "here" could mean where he is in the future setting, or he could answer it for both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, Colin. Actually you've got a great opportunity here, because you've got the contrast between Lanuz's home and the future world to deal with. For the purposes of getting into your protagonist's head, I would like you to answer the questions about his home time period. I'm assuming that he knows nothing about the future time period when he first gets there, correct? So what you want to do is ground yourself as thoroughly as possible in his knowledge of how things are *supposed* to work. That will allow you to come back to the scene with a better sense of what will surprise Lanuz, what will upset him, maybe even how you might change the focus of the scene to bring his disorientation to the forefront. Because I think that aspect of it is a big deal. I've been meaning to ask you, also: please as you answer the questions, can you also answer the question of how he got his metal arm, how he conceptualizes its function and what it means to him? Is it a product of the old world or the new? Is it a curse or a blessing? Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great. Thank you for that. Now I know what I'm doing. You're right that I should get into Lanuz's head more. Some of these questions are interesting because I hadn't even thought of them before. I'll basically need to create that aspect of his life if I want to answer those questions.

    As for the arm, that'll confuse things. When he woke up in the future, that's when he realized he had it. Basically, at the point of picking up the Sword of Power his arm was destroyed and in this same event he was transported to the future. It's likely that scene would have been better as an "inciting event" because that was really what started everything off, but it didn't show any aspect of the world the story takes place in so I decided against using it here. So anyways, the point is, if I'm answering the questions in the point of view of Lanuz in his original time period, he has no knowledge of the metal arm or how he got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what do you know about why he has it? To me, it's the most unique aspect of the story, so I'd like to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I donno about Unique. Edward Lerner has a character who has a really neat prostetic, bionic arm. The circumstances are totally different, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Home? Where ever there's a game and a profit to be made. He frowns. But Sharista--her mother died while I was gone. Gambling. If something happened to her too. . .
    2. As long as I don't have guards at my heels, it doesn't matter much, does it? Still the southron is nice. I've my eye on a gambling hall down there in Genira.
    3. Where ever the players my mother was with that year had a stage to perform on is where I grew up. Before she was too sick to sing, we had a good life. As long as we stayed away from that dung-eating father of mine.
    4. Cities for me. Those open plains up in the north give me the cramp. Mountains aren't much better. I'll take a city with side streets to fade into if you need to.
    5. Now that's a good question and if they don't go to fighting over it, that'll be a blessing from the faceless goddess. Stupid idiots to try to depose the Princess after they swore her fealty as though she'd sit still for that. With an army at her back. Wrai spits. Stupid nobles. Don't have the brains Riarmar gave a goat.
    6. The best thing is to look not too rich or two poor. Ordinary. It's no good being remembered if you can help it--or looking too fat and asking to have your purse cut.
    7. Wrai shakes the dice in his hand. Where do you think? But I keep what I have in my purse. Never be without a few good gold crowns for an emergency. Still--that has to change if I'm going to take Sharista with me. Maybe I should have changed it sooner. Would Eleora have lived if she'd been with me? He frowns, looking thoughtful. But she knew what I was when she married me.
    8. A good goblet of wine. A nice roast fowl. I've seen some of those southron eat raw fish--but I'd have to be starving to try it.
    9. He shakes his dice again and smiles. Good weighted dice aren't easy to make. I've had these a while.
    10. Fat nobles--meant for the plucking but make sure you're not caught at it. They say the mages are dangerous. They keep to themselves so I don't worry about that.
    11. Is anyone in control? But you weight the odds the best that you can. Now the faceless goddess has mostly stood by me. No complaints. You can't expect a goddess to protect you from every roll of the die. Riarmar and her husband are too fine for me. I like a goddess who's on the outs like I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catreona,

    I haven't seen a bionic arm put on a time traveler before. That's what I meant. I've seen bionic arms here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and Catreona, I fully understand the concept of a mechanical arm is not all that unique. It's definitely very derived. I think what sort of makes it unique is the concept of merging fantasy with scifi. Lanuz is sort of a typical fantasy hero archetype, but he's thrown into a somewhat typical scifi world, and on top of that it is even a part of his own body now.

    I dunno, not extremely unique, but I think it's kind of a cool concept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be posting the answers in a day or so. But while you've been off Nebula-ing, Juliette, I've been pondering what would improve the worldbuilding.

    The scene that I sent is part of scene two - the first scene involves Jasmine recording her journal and planning the sort of mischief that she considers normal. Scene two involves her contrasting her plans with reality, as she reluctantly heads towards the briefing.

    I'm considering rewriting by stealing elements from the longer section of scene two (Jasmine complains that she wasn't a willing recruit into the VoidWatch, but is serving her sentence for a time-machine-related offence), and from scene six (Jasmine wakes up in what looks exactly like her bedroom at home, but she knows that it isn't - because the VoidWatch have powerful matter-duplication tech - this leads her into musing sarcastically upon her new role serving, protecting and repairing timelines), and from the final scene (which I haven't written, but it involved Jasmine discovering that VoidWatch tech also allows her to make a videophone call across timelines, and having to explain to her parents why she hasn't called sooner, and just what the hell she's been up to).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll give your points some serious consideration. I got a lot of feedback about Wrai early on objecting to his being unsympathetic because he's a thief, but you may very well be right. It's certainly something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Juliette,

    I may not be able to answer the questions by May 1st, as I'm spending the end of the week with friends and won't be back before Monday. I think I'll provide answers from different characters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Collin,

    I'm sorry. I did *not* mean to be condescending. I think your storyline, with the blending of Fantasy and SF, sounds very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Working on the questions. No. 3 puzzles me now as it did in the first workshop. How does topography influence your concept of comfort? Whether you grew up on the planes or in the mountains or by the sea, you're still going to consider central heating and indoor plumbing essential comforts.

    Don't mind me. I'm not complaining, just being a smart ass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Juliette,

    I have different POV characters during the course of the story. Should I answer the questions from the POV of the character telling my excerpt, the most prominent one, or both? I have characters from different cultures, including sentient ships.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you're having fun, Catreona.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Colin,

    The reason I said the arm was the most unique thing is you have to admit swords of power have been done a lot. As a reader, I'd want to see some kind of twist in the traditional idea coming from the combination of fantasy and science fiction, and the most obvious element of that is the arm.

    It sounds from your description as though the alterations he undergoes are part of his readiness to wield the sword. Is there some secret to the sword that makes these alterations necessary? What is his role in getting the alterations? At least the first one seems like an accident. I'm surprised that a person from the past can get a bionic arm and not go "Eww! get it off me!" So that's why I'm wondering how he feels about it. Something like that could end up deepening your plot and giving extra dimension to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Juliette,

    The evolution thing was more a background thing, I may have to put it later in the story.
    The necklace is indeed connected to the ship. I was additionnaly planning to answer the questions from the point of view of the ship, as well as Tsumw's, as was planned, in order to give more perspective to the world.
    However, I may be late, as I'm currently leaving to spend the weekend with friends, and I won't be able to post the answers before Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Khajidu,

    Monday is fine. I think you're right to think of moving the evolution thing a little later. I'd like to see the finding of the necklace and its consequence, especially if the necklace makes their lives change.

    ReplyDelete
  19. David,

    I got your comment twice. I have moderation on in case of spammers; anyway, your answers are up. Is there any way you could try to do this in first person, from the point of view of Jasmine, instead of about her?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Juliette,

    I wasn't sure if it had gone through - normally I get a message saying that "Your comment will appear after moderation", or something like that. This time I got nothing at all, and my comments just seemed to disappear - so I tried again. Sorry about the double post.

    I like the idea of writing the answers from Jasmine's POV. I'm going to start on that right now.

    ReplyDelete