Thank You to my Patrons!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Thoughts on Speaking with Aliens

I was recently directed to this terrific post. If you are interested in the various ways that science fiction authors have dealt with the language problem, it's a great source, because it covers many years and many approaches to language, and it also cites the authors who have taken these various approaches (everyone from Douglas Adams to Vernor Vinge and C.J. Cherryh, etc.).

Take a look, and then go read the books - why not?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. The reason I made Jasmine a telepath in the first place was because her parents had to make First Contact with a non-human sentient race (story still under construction).

    Actually, the whole reason I invented Jasmine in the first place was to annoy her older sister, but that's a whole other story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a catalog, that article is all right. Not terribly insightful or helpful though.

    I I recommend Edward Lerner's blog http://edward-m-lerner.blogspot.com/, especially his Troping the Light Fantastic series of posts.

    ReplyDelete