Thank You to my Patrons!

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Not far from the tree...

I went to my Ph.D. advisor's Christmas party last night. They're always potluck, and they're always fun, and they're always full of people who love to talk about what they're studying/researching/working on. Last night there were a lot of people working on language learning and technology. Lots of discussion of foreign countries and languages and cultural differences.

The great thing is, I still fit in with this group. My advisor and the folks there loved hearing about writing science fiction. Thing is, I'm still doing a lot of what I was doing then: working with foreign culture and subtleties of misunderstanding in communication; looking closely at language and analyzing it for how the message is delivered and all that. I told several people that I really have gotten where I am with my writing because I took Claire's (my advisor's) discourse analysis class. Yes, Claire said, but you also have the creativity and imagination.

I see her point, but the fact of the matter is, she really contributed something crucial to where I am today. I gave her a copy of Analog magazine containing my story, "Let the Word Take Me."

For the title and illustration page of that story, Dr. Stan Schmidt wrote an exceedingly astute summation, namely:

Language is more than just words. Sometimes much more.

Whether in academia or science fiction writing, fundamentally, that's what it's always been about.

3 comments:

  1. Not sure when Juliette is leaving for Chicago... Safe travels and bring *warm* clothing! It's COLD there at the moment!

    Merry Christmas to everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Paul. I probably won't be able to go look for it until after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catreona,

    I'm in Chicago already, and it's tricky to write any new entries from here. It was -7 the day we arrived, but now it's warmed up to 21 and snowy. Yowch!

    Merry Christmas back to you.

    ReplyDelete