Sunday, January 2, 2011

Call for Worldbuilding/ Language Workshop Submissions

As I begin a new year at TalkToYoUniverse, I'm thinking about what might make this blog better. I know that you guys like writing-related posts; I also know that you like worldbuilding posts, and culture-related posts. So to start with, I'm going to invite you to ask anything you might be curious about and/or think I could help you with by writing about it here.

Secondly, I've been considering the problem of workshops. I've done three workshops here, and really enjoyed all three, but they were a serious time commitment! So given that I'm going to be trying to hit writing goals this year (a novel and a short story, which is quite a lot for me), I've decided I need to try a new approach for the workshop.

Instead of taking submissions and picking five people for a month-long workshop, I'm going to put out an open call for submissions and run an ongoing micro-workshop for worldbuilders and language/culture designers, selecting a maximum of one entry per week. These I will spend a bit of time engaging with and discussing on the blog.

So, if you're interested in workshopping with me and having your work looked at by my readers...

Please submit an excerpt of no more than five hundred words from your work in progress (novel length or shorter story length), with a sentence or two telling me what kind of feedback you're looking for. If the excerpt is the opening of your work, and you want feedback on your world-entry, don't tell me anything else. If the excerpt is from the middle of your work, you may add an additional sentence or two to give me some basic previous context. Entries totaling over 1000 words of text and explanation cannot be considered, so please be concise.

You may use the comments space below this post for general blog suggestions and for submissions. Please include an email address if you want me to inform you that you have been selected.

This should be fun, and I look forward to seeing what you're working on! Please tell your friends.